Wholesome Christmas Cake
Holidays are coming…
You can have it all with this ridiculously easy Christmas cake recipe which won’t send you into orbit but, oh boy, does it taste good.
The flour is traded for ground almonds, and texture is touched by walnuts, chunkily chopped for extra texture and taste.
Both almonds and walnuts are a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids, fibre, vitamins and minerals. They contain a strong, high level of antioxidant activity.
Wholesome Christmas Cake
Serves: 16 slices (75g / slice)
Time to create: 1 hr 45mins
( Time for personal effort: 20 mins )
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian
- 200 g Raisins
- 200 g Sultanas
- 200 g Currants
- 25 g Dried cranberries
- 25 g Flaked almonds
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Orange (1 large or 2 small – unwaxed)
- 300 g Ground almonds
- 50 g Walnuts
- Drizzle of agave Syrup
- Shredded coconut for decoration (just a pinch)
- Coconut yoghurt for the side; 1 dsp / pax
23cm cake tin
- Preheat your oven to 150C and prepare your 23cm tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the dried fruit, 1/2 the flaked almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg (grate it in), vanilla and olive oil. Crack your eggs into a small bowl and lightly whisk with a fork it to combine yolk and white and add to the main bowl.
- Grate the oranges for their zest, and then juice them. Add to the mix. Stir all together with a spoon.
- Chop up the walnuts roughly, and add to the bowl together with the ground almonds, and mix again. Spoon into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour, then cover with baking parchment to prevent burning. Bake for another 20 mins. Test with a skewer to see if it comes out clean, which means it’s ready to take out.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack. Re-use the cake cover sheet of baking parchment to brown the saved flaked almonds in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- When completely cool, remove from the tin and turn upside down. With a skewer, prick holes in the cake and drizzle a little agave over the top. Sprinkle with your toasted almonds and a little shredded coconut (snowfall) if desired.
Even more lovely served with natural or coconut yoghurt with a grating of nutmeg. Store in a tin.
We hope you enjoy this cake as much as we do! Tonight we may even be testing another slice, or two, tucked up with thick socks and blankets, fire crackling in the background.
Follow Wholesome World
Recipes 🌱 Nutrition
Well-being 🌱 Medical Resources
NHS approved Health App
Download me ↓