Blood Orange Salad with Grilled Lamb Recipe
This unusual Lamb recipe is a quick, light lunch or starter.
The tart sweetness of the blood oranges pairs particularly well with lamb, but use ordinary oranges if they’re not in season.
This Lamb recipe is also good with thin slices of cooked beetroot or raw red onion. You could replace the lamb with peppered mackerel, or if you are vegetarian, with the deliciously dense haloumi.
If you are going to eat non-organic farmed meat, Lamb is a good choice. By nature, they prefer to be on hilly grassland areas, which means their feed is not prepared and unlikely to contain little pesticide residue. However, non-organic animals are likely to be given routine drugs whereas organic lambs are restricted with what is given.
Riverford Farm contributed this recipe to the app and I wouldn’t go anywhere else for my organic meat. Read more on Ethical Farming and Riverford here. You can also find out more about their ethics by heading to their About page.
GET THE LAMB RECIPE
Blood Orange Salad & GrilleD Lamb
Time to create: 20mins
Time for personal effort: 5mins
Notes: GF – DF
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- zest of ½ blood orange
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking, e.g. vegetable or sunflower
- 2 boneless lamb steaks
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and thinly sliced (reserve any juice)
- 2 handfuls of winter salad leaves or a few lettuce leaves
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, orange zest and a little reserved orange juice
- Brush the lamb with a little oil, season with salt and a good grinding of black pepper and griddle or grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and leave to rest for a few minutes, then slice thinly.
- Toss the oranges, salad leaves and dressing together in a bowl. Serve with the sliced lamb on top.
Wholesome World provides digital access to healthy lifestyle information and medical research. It is approved by the National Health Service (NHS) and features in the app library.
Download the app here and follow us on Instagram.
Follow Wholesome World
Recipes 🌱 Nutrition
Well-being 🌱 Medical Resources
NHS approved Health App
Download me ↓