Fresh Starts- Lottie Brook -
There are many points in life where a fresh start is a necessity or even a right of passage. Sometimes they are an unavoidable situation and we must take them on as part of self-development or embrace them as a brilliant milestone in life. We start new schools, new jobs, move houses, move countries, fall in love, fall out of love, learn to drive… The list goes on. There are unavoidable fresh starts, not necessarily forced upon us but those we can expect to experience. I found myself thrust into a ‘fresh start’ which I would not wish upon anyone when I lost my husband to cancer and not long after discovered I too was fighting for life. It was potentially the combination of these events which led me to start finding a reason to begin again, to start afresh. An awareness to cancer, especially that of the brain, and how little we still know about the ways we can help ourselves alongside whichever form of clinical treatment we are going though. It was by educating myself and constantly seeking out the best advice/podcasts/recipes/talks etc. that I began to build this bank of knowledge you can now find in the Wholesome World App. It felt like, and still does, a huge achievement and honour to share my knowledge and insight. Most of the time we are bombarded with what we should be doing but by embracing new ideas, new foods, new ways of moving, we can challenge ourselves in small, positive ways without feeling out of control or a failure. It’s the small steps that count at times when big changes are happening.
Here are my top tips for a successful Fresh Start, which may or may not be applied to coping with major life changes or simply clearing your closet:
- Try to look at the situation like a jigsaw, one section at a time, not the whole terrifying thing all at once. You’ll achieve so much more this way.
- Write a list of things that must be achieved, but give yourself a realistic timeframe, i.e. making that wholesome meal, finding time (and energy) to move your body, new curtains, updating your CV.
- Don’t feel disheartened if you feel overwhelmed, you can and will do this! Just keep going and try and stick to your timeframe.
- Call in the troops if necessary. Friends and family love to help and even if it is just a tea break with your favourite person this can often spur you on to greater things and you’ll be back on track in no time.
- When you’re done, congratulate yourself! You’ve done something quite daunting, however big or small the Fresh Start was. Humans are creatures of habit, any change is scary, so achieving your Fresh Start should be acknowledged positively.
Whatever your new beginning is, there is always someone else to help, always a positive to starting anew, trust your gut and keep going.