Banana Flax Pancakes
I’d say, breakfast is my favourite time of the day, especially in spring time. Gone are the dark days of winter and I’m spending many mornings basking in the sunshine and taking a slow start to the day with leisurely breakfast dates over pancakes.
Pancakes are often seen as a treat laden with sugar but the CAN be healthy too. These American style pancakes makes a perfect change from my classic crunchy granola without missing the nutrients too. Packed with top anticancer food flaxseed and all important gut friendly fibre offsets the natural sugar hit from the bananas.
Walnuts are one of our top nut choices, being high in anti-inflammatory omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids are incredibly important. They have many powerful health benefits for your body and brain. In fact, few nutrients have been studied as thoroughly as omega-3 fatty acids.(1)
One of the many benefits is how it can help to fight depression and anxiety. Depression is one of the most common mental disorders in the world. Interestingly, studies indicate that people who consume omega-3s regularly are less likely to be depressed. (2) Another valid reason to eat pancakes for breakfast more than once a year!
Banana Flax Pancakes
Time for personal effort: 10mins
GF – DF – V
2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
3 tsp Coconut oil
4 tsps Greek Yogurt
- Place the eggs, banana, flaxseed and vanilla extract in the blender & whizz until smooth.
- Chop the walnuts, and mint, slice the strawberries, mix together and place to one side.
- In a medium heavy based frying pan melt the coconut oil and add a 6th of the mix, approx 6 inches width. Best to make 3 per person.
- Cook on a light heat for 2-3 minutes, until set, carefully turn over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Turn out onto a plate and repeat.
- Turn on the oven to 50c and place the cooked pancakes in, to keep warm. Then simply plate them when ready.
- Place the yoghurt on top of each pancake when serving and scatter over prepared toppings.
|Nutritional Breakdown per serving:|
|||% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat||40g (62%)|
|Saturated Fat||12g (58%)|
|Total Carbohydrate||42g (14%)|
|Dietary Fiber||8g (34%)|
Wholesome World provides digital access to healthy lifestyle information and medical research. It is approved by the National Health Service (NHS) and features in the app library. Download the app here and follow us on Instagram.