Avocado & Pomegranate Salad
Download the Wholesome World app for more recipes, nutritional insight and digital health and lifestyle links.
After recently visiting Australia, it reminded me how much I love being in places when the avo’s are in season… something we struggle with in the UK as they have to be imported… They are so delicious there.
Avocado’s are a fantastic addition to almost any plate, they provide important unsaturated fat, sterols and stanols for keeping cholesterol in check, decreasing your risk of heart disease and stroke.
As with every major food trend, the avocado movement has resulted in some sustainability issues and should be bought organically when possible. Here’s why…
To keep up with the demand, many avocado farmers have pushed the limits on production levels, meaning the supermarket ‘bargain avo’ hosts some pretty unsavoury environmental impacts.
It has been reported that the illegal avocado market is booming, with trees being destroyed to make way for more planting and bigger crops.
This has a knock on effect to local ecosystems in their native country of Mexico. These woodlands are sensitive environments that support the monarch butterfly migrations as well as other plants and animals.
However, as an adaptable crop, it can be grown in three separate frost-free climates across Australia, as well as other subtropical and Mediterranean climates, ensuring year round supply.
But as any health expert will tell you, avocados should be eaten in moderation, like everything else. We should probably start thinking twice before adding avocado to literally every meal.
This is one of my favourite salads contributed to Wholesome World by the talented and wonderful @lottiebrook. It is a feast for the eyes as well as the body. Add a poached egg for extra protein.
Time to create: 10 mins
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Nut Free
– 2 Avocados
– 1/2 Pomegranate
– 60g Feta
– 40g Pumpkin seeds, toasted
– Sprig of Mint
– 1 Lime
– 2 Tsps Olive Oil
– Pinch of Sea Salt
– Crack of Black Pepper
1. Slice the pomegranate in half, deseed using a teaspoon, or bashing the skin side with a wooden spoon over a large bowl, removing all the white membrane from the related seeds.
2. Hand crumble the feta into the pomegranate seeds, add the pumpkin seeds and lightly toss together.
3. Make the dressing in a small bowl of juice of half a lime, add the olive oil and whisk, finely chop the mint leaves and add along with salt and pepper.
4. Cut your avocado in half lengthways, twist apart, carefully remove the stone. Using a large spoon, scoop out the avocado halves and slice into strips, add to the salad, gently toss and serve with the dressing drizzled on top.
|Amount Per Serving|
% Daily Value *
|Total Fat||51 g ( 78 % )|
|– Saturated Fat||12 g ( 61 % )|
|– Monounsaturated Fat||25 g|
|– Polyunsaturated Fat||4 g|
|– Trans Fat||0 g|
|– Cholesterol||0 mg ( 0 % )|
|Sodium||479 mg ( 20 % )|
|Potassium||834 mg ( 24 % )|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g ( 8 % )|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g ( 50 % )|
|Protein||14 g ( 28% )|
|Vitamin A||5 %|
|Vitamin C||48 %|
Wholesome World provides digital access to healthy lifestyle information and medical research. Download the app here.