Almond, Courgette & Parsnip Soup
A twist on veggie soup as the almonds and almond milk add to the flavour and nutrient profile.
Use a good quality veggie stock cube or make your own stock. This is a great dish for your lunch and you can use up any veg lurking in the bottom of your fridge.
Parsnip does give a lovely sweet flavour though and provides some excellent fibre along with vitamins B, C and E.
Parsnips are high in health-boosting vitamin C. In fact, a half-cup of raw parsnips has about 17 milligrams of vitamin C, about 28% of your daily recommended intake (DRI). Boiling parsnips reduces their vitamin C content, but they still provide about 13 milligrams or 20% DRI. (1)
Almonds will provide another boost of vitamin E and are high in magnesium which has so many health benefits including reducing blood pressure and blood sugar control.
The protein and fats ion the almonds further help to slow down digestion of the sugars and keep blood glucose levels under control.
NOTE! Some people say these are small portions – but I put the recipe together during treatment… so maybe add some sourdough toast!
You may also like:
Get the Recipe
Almond, Courgette and Parsnip Soup
Time to create: 45mins
Time for personal effort: 10mins
Notes: GF, RSF, GrF, V, P, EF
GF | Gluten Free
DF | Dairy Free
GrF | Grain Free
RSF | Refined Sugar Free
V | Vegetarian
Ve | Vegan
P | Pescatarian
EF | Egg Free
NF | Nut Free
Warm nutty vegetable soup – but perfect for any time of the year. Fills you up too.
2 Veg stock
30g Coconut oil
1 White onion,
1 M. Parsnip (= approx 250g)
2 Courgettes (100g/3.5oz) each = 200g total (or one large ?)
250ml Almond (milk) drink
25g Ground almonds
1 litre Water (split in halves)
Sprinkle Salt & Pepper
- Boiling 500ml water for the stock, mix and put on the side.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan.
- Chunkily chop and fry up the onion.
- Chop and fry the parsnip too for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer for 20 mins to cook the parsnip.
- Chop the courgette (zucchini) and add to the pan, and then simply pour in the remaining ingredients; almond milk and ground almonds.
- As the milk cools the temperature, smooth the consistency by blending the soup.
- Heat to a simmer, add salt and pepper as needed, and serve. Add water for preferred consistency.
- I normally sprinkle with flaked almonds to add a little bit of crunch.
Wholesome World provides digital access to healthy lifestyle information and medical research. It is approved by the National Health Service (NHS) and features in the app library. Download the app here and follow us on Instagram.